Thursday, 7 June 2007

Distractions


I am really struggling with discipline in all areas of my life currently. Partly because I am absolutely exhausted with BCNZ courses all wrapping up tomorrow and so trying to complete everything means I'm up till 2am and beyond so my defences are naturally lower, and partly because I haven't been practising remaining on task much this semester in general!

Distractions come from all sources, friends, bodily requirements, God! However I read something recently that made me think, Joyce Huggett said that when praying we will automatically be distracted - especially if we are unused to silence. To counteract this she suggests that we incorporate distractions, acknowledge them, and then dismiss them. If a bird is singing praise God for the bird and consider the wonder of the song and then return to what you were originally praying aboout. If the neighbours kids are yelling... If your tummy is rumbling...

So blogging for me has become a distraction eliminator! I acknowledge I have an interesting thought, write it down, and then dismiss it. Sounds crazy but I actually lose more time pondering it and trying to avoid the thought than I do writing it down and posting it online. Got any other distraction busters to share with me?

1 comment:

Ellen Rose said...

I think that you have a great point about getting the distraction out of the way, but I find that sometimes I am in the middle of something, a particular subject and by the time I have gotten rid of the distraction, I have forgotten what it was that I was focusing on... So what I tend to do, is write all my.. well prayers generally, down in a book that I can return to and then that jogs my memory with what exactly I was going on about.. This is helpful for if you have flatmate's that need to talk or annoying cats that need to be let out...