Sunday, 1 March 2009

Blast from the past

This morning I tried out my first local church. Having been to a friends birthday party last night and seen a lot of people from my first real church family there I decided I would go back to my roots a little and attend Lincoln Rd Bible Chapel of Brethren denomination. It was different. I walked in by myself, having planned to meet friends there, and stood alone for what felt like ages but was probably 3mins max. A couple of girls asked me if I was new and alone and offered to sit with me if I liked but when I said I was waiting drifted off again. Finally an older lady approached me and chatted away introducing probably 8 or so people to me and then sitting with me while I waited for my friends who were rather late. This really was inviting and friendly, a little overwhelming to meet so many people in so short a time but at the same time it meant that they all knew I was new and would be more likely to approach me if I was by myself after the service. Someone also came up and invited me to lunch to meet the elders and get to know people which, had I been more interested in the church and not had friends afterwards, I would have been tempted to attend.

I did enjoy the relaxed service style, family atmosphere and the simplicity of communion. The worship time was quite offputting with songs from my youth featuring for the majority and very little movement or physical expression evident. I mean it was lovely for a visit and the words were all meaningful and thought provoking but for a home church I would struggle week after week and I dont want to add hindrances to worshipping God if not necessary. Also it is my understanding that women do not preach or teach and certainly women did not seem to have a main role (though I may be wrong) in the running of the service. Certainly this denomination is far more complementarian than most.

All in all it is a lovely church but just not me. I went expecting that but was still pleasantly surprised by how friendly people were and am not sorry I confirmed this. So now I need to find an evening service...

No comments: