Friday, 4 January 2008

Thoughts =P

When I was younger I used to read fiction books voraciously. Seriously. Thats where most of my weird big words come from cos I ALWAYS had my nose in a book. At the time it would drive my Mum nuts but it was a coping mechanism that I just couldn't cope without. It shut out all the other thoughts and fears and emotions that I couldn't deal with and let me live vicariously through someone else.

There came a time though when I had to start living my own life, dealing with my own pain and moving on. Thats when I started to become addicted to busyness - again busyness is something that prevents you from having to think, to stop, reflect and move on refreshed and enlightened.
Funny thing is - when I'm not busy I tend to retreat to (you guessed it) books =S

I have a feeling this is why a lot of guys are 'addicted' to video and computer games... why women always have 3+ things on the go... why NZ is full of workaholics.

When you are on the go 24/7, when noise and drama and things fill your life, rarely do we have to actually stop and ask the big questions: who AM I? why do I exist? is this a good idea? why do I keep finding myself in the same situations?

Having time to think for yourself seems to be a luxury and most of us would prefer to let others tell us the solutions rather than come up with them ourselves.

I wonder if this is also a huge part of the problem we have with listening in New Zealand - do we struggle to listen to others because the voices in our own heads that we keep avoiding and suppressing are screaming so loud to be heard that they drown out everyone else as well? I've noticed girls especially will talk at each other not to each other - each is having their own conversation out loud with themself on a totally different topic and both leave satisfied, possbily because they've just allowed themself to say what they really feel in a safe setting to THEMSELVES.

How can we hope to listen to God if we haven't listened to ourselves first and are quiet enought and still enough to settle to hear Him?

Maybe blogging too is a form of 'thinking' to oneself in a safe socially acceptable setting?

1 comment:

Paul's Thoughts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.