Monday, 21 May 2007

Faith levels...

I can't recall which speaker made this statement at Pursuit - but it certainly challenged my thinking - 'maybe we need to reduce our faith to the level we have substance for'. I think the point he was making was that sometimes we have 'faith' for sooo much but we are incapable of following through on what we are believing for. Maybe its better to start focusing on and believing for our friends and family to come to Christ before we pour all our energy into believing for the city of Hamilton to come to Christ within the year. Now I'm not saying think small but I am asking do we have faith for what we can do in partnership with God, or just for what we perceive only God can do (thus requiring little or no identifiable sacrifice from ourselves)? Did anyone else who went to Pursuit pick up on this? Thoughts?

I must admit I'm not entirely convinced however its always nice to have a radical position cross my path and challenge me to question what I believe and why.

1 comment:

James said...

I can definitely see what you are saying here. I often don't have faith for things like healing or for a whole nation to be saved. I don't really understand faith, but I don't believe it is some magic quality that we have to acquire for our prayers work.

Rex said something on this not long ago, in that we often say we have faith when we really have hope. Faith is the substance of 'things hoped for'. He said Faith is when we know from God that our Hope is going to be fulfilled.

I personally don't believe that the whole city of Hamilton is going to be saved. But faith for my friends, well that may be a different story...

On the other hand maybe I just lack faith?