Tuesday, 5 August 2008

Questions I ponder

MMMMMMMMMMMmm yummy my house smells like Pea and Ham soup...

Theology. I study it, I listen to various peoples takes on it and I wrestle with it but increasingly I find that I actually NEED to be able to take some stands. Problem is at the moment my stands last only until I hit a better argument. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing - but its frustrating! Take (dare I even type it lol) women in ministry. I currently work with several men who have no issue with it and attend a church and am in a denomination which embrace women in all roles - including senior human pastors of churches. That said I grew up in a home where women were firmly seen as ultimately to be submissive to their husbands and in churches where women often did not even speak during worship in church.

I have really looked into this. I've had to as its been so on my heart and mind. Thing is I am 100% sure God has created me and gifted me with the intention of having me take a pastoral role in the church and for full time church based ministry. Which is fantastic as I LOVE this!!! But I happen to be single - which is fine! - leaving me with questions such as 'what if my husband is not similarly gifted?' and 'to what extent do I believe that God ordains women for ministry and to what level of authority?'. I do believe men and women are created equal. I also believe we were created differently, different roles, different positions on an equal level. So. I know women in the NT took on leading roles in various churches but I also know that Jesus chose 12 MALE disciples, no female ones, who went on to preach the gospel and help build the kingdom of God. I believe that Godly women are to be allowed and encouraged to speak in church and specifically to teach the younger women.

In addition I know I work best alongside someone helping them to achieve a common goal and that ultimately I prefer to relinquish big decisions to someone else rather than make that call myself alone. All of this does not influence my theology as such but still add tgo my thoughts on this whole area.

Oh the inner tumult!

But the soup smells great =)

1 comment:

Clive Smit said...

So you didn't really tell us where you stood. Check out Rom 16...

Why do you think that Jesus chose 12 men?

Do you believe that a woman can be a senior pastor?

What leadership roles have woman taken in the Bible?

Questions are a great way to lead us forward : )