Friday, 8 May 2009

Longing sux!

In community worship a few weeks ago I think Rod raised the suggestion that we need to long more - to dream - to hope - to imagine - to desire. Well as far as I am concerned longing doesn't happen so much because it opens me up to an awareness of what is not possible, to what I cannot change, to pain, to frustration, to weakness, to devastation, to a deep insatiable ache in my soul that I cannot assuage and God is seemingly asking me to wait on. and on. and on.

I'm not saying longing is wrong but I am saying it is costly and in a full life it brings in a new dimension I'm not sure I want to sacrifice for and yet I'm not sure I can ignore either.

So is it best to embrace longing wholeheartedly or at a distance? Does it matter? I don't know... yet

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is a lot more comfortable since I cured my longing. It can be done.

Cat said...

Mmm but without longing what are you aiming towards? Hoping for? Trusting God for? Longing is hard but I think it makes the times when its fulfilled much sweeter too...