Saturday, 24 January 2009

Loving the city - time to get uncomfortable

Been listening to Marc Driscoll preaching again - this time from the Resurgence podcasts - and I'm getting stirred again. I love Hamilton the city to bits. I love the setting, the scenery, the laziness, the people I know both family and church family and friends, and I guess I love how comfortable and content I am here too. But I also know that the reasons as to why I emotionally love Hamilton also mean that I don't practically love it... I'm too comfortable in my routine and knowledge. I don't go out on the town at night, I don't cruise the Te Rapa straight on the weekends, I don't explore areas known to be 'dodgy', I don't notice the areas of social despair and disrepair. I love my version of Hamilton - not the reality of Hamilton.


Moving to Auckland I'm intending to make sure I don't get stuck in comfy city mode and I'm also starting to pray that it changes my understanding and approach to Hamilton too. I love Hamilton so much that I truly desire long term to live and minister and love here so for this reason too I am moving away - I want to be able to see Hamilton and learn to love it practically too.



On September 21, 2007, Mark Driscoll was invited to speak at the Convergent Conference at Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. In this session listen at Pastor Mark explains the major streams of the Emerging Church and specifically, the sub-set of of the Emerging Church, known as the "Emergent Church".

No comments: